Nokia N900 – Powered By Maemo
Nokia has its latest smartphone experiment out in the form of the Maemo powered N900. its an experiment as Nokia is still promoting N97 over this wonderful gadget. Certainly N900 is the best smartphone that Nokia has produced till date and no matter what comparisons say, the N900 comes real close to beating the iPhone 3GS, in some ways it does. The same old issue with the Nokia is the weight and the usability. iPhone scores there.
Most impressing part of N900 is 600 MHz ARM Processor with 256 Mb ram and aprox 1 GB virtual memory with the OS named Maemo which is basically a linux based tabloid OS designed using various opensource projects.
The built-in 32 GB storage is big enough to store up to 7,000 of your favorite songs or 40 hours of DVD-quality video. And with an external microSD card you can expand the storage to up to 48 GB
With Nokia N900 you can experience the high speed brodband connection at home. Enjoy rich interactive content across the web and view pages the way they should be seen with stunning full-screen browsing.
It has a powerful 5-mpx LED camera and GPS system actived on it.
Only the time will speak whether this would give a tough fight to the iPhone series.
What is Maemo exactly ??
Maemo is a software platform that is mostly based on open source code and powers mobile devices such as the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet. Maemo platform has been developed by Nokia in collaboration with many open source projects such as the Linux kernel , Debian , GNOME , and many more.
In coming articles we will try to explore more on maemo and its features and in which mobile will be developed for maemo.
N900 Technical Details
- 3.5 inch touch-sensitive widescreen display
- 800 × 480 pixel resolution
- Maemo browser powered by Mozilla technology
- Adobe Flash™ 9.4 support
- Full screen browsing
- 5 megapixel camera (2584 × 1938 pixels)
- Image formats: JPEG
- CMOS sensor, Carl Zeiss optics, Tessar lens
- 3 × digital zoom
- Autofocus with assist light and two-stage capture key
- Dual LED flash
- Full-screen viewfinder
- Photo editor on device
- TV out (PAL/NTSC) with Nokia Video Connectivity Cable (CA-75U, included in box) or WLAN/UPnP
- Landscape (horizontal) orientation
- Capture modes: Automatic, portrait, video, macro, landscape, action
- Wide aspect ratio 16:9 (WVGA)
- Video recording file format: .mp4; codec: MPEG-4
- Video recording at up to 848 × 480 pixels (WVGA) and up to 25fps
- Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263
Music and audio playback
- Maemo media player
- Music playback file formats: .wav, .mp3, .AAC, .eAAC, .wma, .m4a
- Built-in FM transmitter
- Ring tones: .wav, .mp3, .AAC, .eAAC, .wma, .m4a
- FR, EFR, WCDMA, and GSM AMR
- Digital stereo microphone